My List of LinksBible studies: Divine healing and more!
Divine healing has at least eighteen main reasons for being:
1. To get the attention of the unsaved. The secular person is always on the lookout for something to meet his/her needs. And because the person is secular: that person will tend to be more concerned about physical than spiritual needs. Cf. Mt 4:24 Then His fame went throughout all Syria; and they brought to Him all sick people who were afflicted with various diseases and torments, and those who were demon-possessed, epileptics, and paralytics; and He healed them.
2. To help maintain the smooth operation of the ministries of the church. By this I mean; that a healthy Christian is going to be able to do more work for the Lord; than an unhealthy or dead one.
3. To act as proof of the power and love of God! Cf. Ac 10:38 "how God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Spirit and with power, who went about doing good and healing all who were oppressed by the devil, for God was with Him. Ro 1:4 and declared to be the Son of God with power according to the Spirit of holiness, by the resurrection from the dead. Mt 14:14 And when Jesus went out He saw a great multitude; and He was moved with compassion for them, and healed their sick.
4. Because divine healing is part of the good news: of the gospel of Jesus Christ!
5. Because divine healing can help make a person humble: before the Lord.
6. As another way for us to be like the Lord. Cf. Mt 10:1 ∂ And when He had called His twelve disciples to Him, He gave them power over unclean spirits, to cast them out, and to heal all kinds of sickness and all kinds of disease.
7. Divine healing is something that we can really give: because we have really received it. Cf. Mt 10:8 "Heal the sick, cleanse the lepers, raise the dead, cast out demons. Freely you have received, freely give.
8. It shows that the Lord God is Lord over all. Cf. Mt 12:10 And behold, there was a man who had a withered hand. And they asked Him, saying, "Is it lawful to heal on the Sabbath?" --that they might accuse Him. Mt 12:12 "Of how much more value then is a man than a sheep? Therefore it is lawful to do good on the Sabbath."
9. Because divine healing can help build up a personís faith. Cf. Mt 15:28 Then Jesus answered and said to her, "O woman, great is your faith! Let it be to you as you desire." And her daughter was healed from that very hour.
10. Many people that would not normally company gospel preached: would come if people were being healed there. Cf. Lu 5:15 However, the report went around concerning Him all the more; and great multitudes came together to hear, and to be healed by Him of their infirmities. Lu 6:17 And He came down with them and stood on a level place with a crowd of His disciples and a great multitude of people from all Judea and Jerusalem, and from the seacoast of Tyre and Sidon, who came to hear Him and be healed of their diseases,
11. Many people who would not normally talk about the gospel: would talk about it, when divine healing is part of it. Cf. Lu 8:36 They also who had seen it told them by what means he who had been demon-possessed was healed.
12.God sends people out to preach the gospel and heal the sick. Cf. Lu 9:1 ∂ Then He called His twelve disciples together and gave them power and authority over all demons, and to cure diseases. 2 He sent them to preach the kingdom of God and to heal the sick.
13.Divine healing is one of the signs: that the kingdom of God is near. Cf. Lu 10:9 "And heal the sick there, and say to them, 'The kingdom of God has come near to you.'
14. Divine healing gives Glory to God! Cf. Lu 17:15 And one of them, when he saw that he was healed, returned, and with a loud voice glorified God,
15. It helps demonstrate the forgiveness of God. Cf. Lu 22:47 ∂ And while He was still speaking, behold, a multitude; and he who was called Judas, one of the twelve, went before them and drew near to Jesus to kiss Him. Lu 22:51 But Jesus answered and said, "Permit even this." And He touched his ear and healed him.
16. It helps a preacher to be bold in his proclamation of the gospel of Jesus Christ! Cf. Ac 4:29 "Now, Lord, look on their threats, and grant to Your servants that with all boldness they may speak Your word, 30 "by stretching out Your hand to heal, and that signs and wonders may be done through the name of Your holy Servant Jesus."
17. Divine healing is to be a normal part of the church. Cf. 1Co 12:28 And God has appointed these in the church: first apostles, second prophets, third teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, administrations, varieties of tongues. Jas 5:16 Confess your trespasses to one another, and pray for one another, that you may be healed. The effective, fervent prayer of a righteous man avails much.
18. It gives us: another reason to deal with sin. Cf. Jas 5:16 Confess your trespasses to one another, and pray for one another, that you may be healed. The effective, fervent prayer of a righteous man avails much.