My List of LinksTo master page.: More links to Bible studies!
Fasting and prayer
By John Chopores
MAT Howbeit this kind goeth not
out but by prayer and fasting. (KJV) Acts 9:9,11-12 9 And he was three days without
sight, and neither did eat nor drink. … 11 And the Lord said unto
him, Arise, and go into the street which is called Straight, and enquire in the
house of Judas for one called Saul, of Tarsus: for, behold, he prayeth, 12 And hath seen in a vision a man
named Ananias coming in, and putting his hand on him,
that he might receive his sight.
Some of the people who used it-
1. The children of
26 Then all the children of
2. Jehoshaphat the king cf. 2 Chr. 20:3-4 3
And Jehoshaphat feared, and set himself to seek the LORD, and proclaimed a fast throughout
3. Elijah the prophet cf. 1 kings 19:6-7 6 And he looked, and, behold, there was a cake baken on the coals, and a cruse of water at his head. And he did eat and drink, and laid him down again. 7 And the angel of the LORD came again the second time, and touched him, and said, Arise and eat; because the journey is too great for thee.
4. The people of
5. Esther cf. Esther 4:16 16 Go, gather together all the Jews that are present in Shushan, and fast ye for me, and neither eat nor drink three days, night or day: I also and my maidens will fast likewise; and so will I go in unto the king, which is not according to the law: and if I perish, I perish.
6. Ezra cf. Ezra 8:21-23 21 Then I
proclaimed a fast there, at the
7. Daniel cf. Dan. 9:3 3 And I set my face unto the Lord God, to seek by prayer and supplications, with fasting, and sackcloth, and ashes:
8. Anna the Prophetess cf. Lu. 2:37 37 And she was a widow of about fourscore and four years, which departed not from the temple, but served God with fastings and prayers night and day.
9. Jesus Himself cf. Lu. 4:1-2 1 And Jesus being full of the Holy Ghost returned from Jordan, and was led by the Spirit into the wilderness, 2 Being forty days tempted of the devil. And in those days he did eat nothing: and when they were ended, he afterward hungered.
10. Paul cf. Acts 9:9 9 And he was three days without sight, and neither did eat nor drink.
11. Cornelius cf. Acts 10:30-31 30 And Cornelius said, Four days ago I was fasting until this hour; and at the ninth hour I prayed in my house, and, behold, a man stood before me in bright clothing, 31 And said, Cornelius, thy prayer is heard, and thine alms are had in remembrance in the sight of God.
12. Others cf. Acts 13:1-3 1 Now there were in the church that was at Antioch certain prophets and teachers; as Barnabas, and Simeon that was called Niger, and Lucius of Cyrene, and Manaen, which had been brought up with Herod the tetrarch, and Saul. 2 As they ministered to the Lord, and fasted, the Holy Ghost said, Separate me Barnabas and Saul for the work whereunto I have called them. 3 And when they had fasted and prayed, and laid their hands on them, they sent them away.