My List of LinksTo master page: Links to more Bible studies, byJohn Chopores.
Tongues of men and Angels
By John Chopores
What about tongues?
The Greek word for this kind of tongue, is "glossolaia". It means "the tongue,...a tongue, a language, a gift of language" [BULLINGER PAGE. 812.].
What is the gift of tongues? It is the gift of God, which enables a Christian to speak in a language (of men or angels) that that person did not learn! Cf. Ac 2:3 And there appeared unto them cloven tongues like as of fire, and it sat upon each of them. Ac 2:4 And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance. [You will notice, that they did not have time, to learn these languages.].
These are real languages, ones that are really used! Cf. 2:11 Cretes and Arabians, we do hear them speak in our tongues the wonderful works of God. [You will notice, that they are saying good, not bad things about God, with the tongues! cf. 1Co 12:3 Wherefore I give you to understand, that no man speaking by the Spirit of God calleth Jesus accursed: and that no man can say that Jesus is the Lord, but by the Holy Ghost.].
It is the sign of the Baptism in the Holy Spirit. Cf. Ac 2:4 And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance. Ac 10:46 For they heard them speak with tongues, and magnify God. Then answered Peter, [Sometimes, God will give more then, one sign. In Acts 19:6, He gave two, tongues and prophety. Cf. Ac 19:6 And when Paul had laid his hands upon them, the Holy Ghost came on them; and they spake with tongues, and prophesied.]. There is more than one kind of tongues. Cf. 1Co 12:10 To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues: There are tongues of both men and angels! Cf.1Co 13:1 Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal. [Please note that, we are to do all things, in love!]. It is a kind of prayer. Cf. 1 Cor.14:15 What is it then? I will pray with the spirit, and I will pray with the understanding also: I will sing with the spirit, and I will sing with the understanding also. [So, we see here, that "praying with the spirit" is one kind of prayer. We need both kinds of prayer!].
Tongues are to be in the Church, until Christ comes back! Cf. 1 Cor. 13:8 Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away. 9 For we know in part, and we prophesy in part. 10 But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away. [The only "perfect" One or thing, is God Himself!]. 11 When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things. 12 For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known. ["face to face" with who? Christ, that is who.]. For when is all things (after the Fall) made "perfect"? Only after Christ comes back! Cf. Rev.21:1 Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth; for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and the sea was no more. [Here is the passing away, of the unperfect, that which is only "in part"]. 2 And I saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband; 3 and I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, "Behold, the dwelling of God is with men. He will dwell with them, and they shall be his people, and God himself will be with them; [Then, we will all speak in one tongue!]. 4 he will wipe away every tear from their eyes, and death shall be no more, neither shall there be mourning nor crying nor pain any more, for the former things have passed away." 5 And he who sat upon the throne said, "Behold, I make all things new." Also he said, "Write this, for these words are trustworthy and true."
Paul himself prayed in tongues. Cf. 1 Cor. 14:18 I thank God, I speak with tongues more than you all: Should not we do the same?
Do I need to speak in Tongues, to be born-again?
15 That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life.
16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
17 For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.
18. He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.
You need to believe in Jesus, and give your life to Him. To be born-again.
Is there good reasons to speak in Tongues?
1. It is a kind of prayer, which God has given to us, to use. [See point 2.].
2. It goes beyond our limited minds. Cf. 1 Corinthians 14:14 For if I pray in an unknown tongue, my spirit prayeth, but my understanding is unfruitful. 1 Corinthians 14:2 For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries. 1 Corinthians 14:15 ¶ What is it then? I will pray with the spirit, and I will pray with the understanding also: I will sing with the spirit, and I will sing with the understanding also. [Use both kinds of prayer!]
3. It builds up our spirit. Cf. Jude 1:20 But ye, beloved, building up yourselves on your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Ghost,
4. It gives glory to God. Cf. 1 Corinthians 6:20 For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's. [For when we pray in Tongues, we are many times giving thanks!] Cf. 1 Cor. 14:15 ¶ What is it then? I will pray with the spirit, and I will pray with the understanding also: I will sing with the spirit, and I will sing with the understanding also. 16 Else when thou shalt bless with the spirit, how shall he that occupieth the room of the unlearned say Amen at thy giving of thanks, seeing he understandeth not what thou sayest?
5. When we pray in Tongues, we are doing a great thing! Cf. 1 Cor. 14: 5 I would that ye all spake with tongues, but rather that ye prophesied: for greater is he that prophesieth than he that speaketh with tongues, except he interpret, that the church may receive edifying. ["except he interpret" so, when he speaks in a Tongue and interprets, it is as great as prophecy!].
6. We are always to pray and walk in the Spirit! Cf. Ephesians 6:18 Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, and watching thereunto with all perseverance and supplication for all saints;
7. Since God says we are to do it. We should do it in faith. Cf. Ephesians 6:18 Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit,